Thursday, June 17, 2010

Getting Pulled Over

I got pulled over for the first time ever a few days ago. I wasn't sure if I was going to share this bit of information, but I finally decided to. I was driving around Payson - I was lost and didn't know the speed limit. I looked in my rear view mirror and all of a sudden a cop was following me. I didn't know what to do so I got even more lost seeing if he was following me - which he was. About 2 minutes after following me, he turned on his lights - why do they wait so long to pull you over? I just don't get it.

Cop guy walks over to my door - "Can I see your license and registration please?" I hand him my license (and yes my hand is shaking) "So you're from California?"
Me: "Yep, and in fact I'm lost." Yes I played the lost, dumb girl from California. "And I've never been pulled over before." Yes, I played that card as well. Then I handed him a very large stack of papers from the glove compartment. "I don't know what you need paperwork wise...I'm sorry"
Cop: (Tentatively looking over my papers, as if he's not sure I'm for real and if I really do have registration) So how long will you be in living in Utah? (thank goodness he didn't ask me how long I've been living here). And where are you trying to get?
Me: I'm planning on moving back in September. And I'm trying to find the hospital (that's where the office I was going to was located - next to it).
Cop: What do you need to go to the hospital for?...never mind don't answer that (I think he was embarassed that he may have asked a personal question or something - let him think what he wants I say). Well, do you know why I pulled you over? You were going almost 40 in a 25 zone.
Me: whoa, I am so sorry - I didn't realize it, I'm just trying to get over to the hospital.
Cop: Well I'm going to let you go this one time. Just slow down and pay attention to where you're going. And here you go (Handing my stack of papers and license back - I don't know if he really even looked at the papers)
Me: Definitely. By the way, would it be took much to ask for directions? (And the cop proceeded to help me - I'm pretty sure he was shaking his head as he drove away. But I'm definitely okay with sounding like an idiot if it gets me out of a ticket)

As a side note, I get bored of backrounds on blogs. I can't find one I like for more than a few weeks or months. Does anyone know of a place to get free blog templates? Or just know how to create one? I'm pretty much retarded technologically so I generally use an already made one. Just wondered.

3 comments:

Tami said...

way to work it melanie! lucky - most utah cops are not cool. i speak from experience. glad you got out of that one.

Brent said...

I can help you make the background... if you want to change the whole blog.... Well that's more involved. I could show you, but it takes some work.

Also, kudos on your "acting", or yeah let's just call it acting.

DrNef said...

Oh Melanie.