Sunday, November 15, 2009

The LSAT

So as you all know I am trying to figure out my life. Library science vs. Law is the current debate. I always thought "oh I just need to take the lsat and then I'll decide if I want to go to law school depending on how well I do." Probably shouldn't have thought like that. I have not been taking it as seriously as I should have. Don't get me wrong, I do study for the test. But it is a lot HARDER than I thought it was going to be. The logical reasoning portion of the test is of the devil. Here is an example of a question from an old LSAT test:

Every Moral Theory developed in the Western tradition purports to tell us what a good life is. However, most people would judge someone who perfectly embodied the ideals of any one of these theories not to be living a good life -- the kind of life they would want for themselves and their children.
The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following?
A. Most people desire a life for themselves and their children that is better than a merely good life.
B. A person who fits the ideals of one moral theory in the Western tradition would not necessarily fit the ideals of another.
C. Most people have a conception of a good life that does not match that of any moral theory in the Western tradition
D. A good life as described by moral theories in the Western tradition cannot be realized
E. It is impossible to develop a theory that accurately describes what a good life is.

If you post your answer I will tell you later what the correct one is. But when you think that you have 26 of these questions to answer in 35 minutes you have little over a minute to work out this problem. Now some of them are harder, and some of them are easier than this question, but if you ask me they still all suck.

Anyway my whole point I guess is that I want to do well on the LSAT, but I probably won't do as well I wanted to in the beginning. I knew it would be hard, but I guess I thought it would be easier. Ugh. And I want to go back to school, but I don't at the same time. I am full of contradictions. it bites.

4 comments:

Jeff Nef said...

I'm gonna go with C

Tami said...

Yikes.

C?

and that was after i spent a few minutes puzzling over it. having to do those in a rush would put me in a complete panic.

Melanie said...

Guess again...I also got this one wrong. The answer is D

DrNef said...

The answer is clearly C. The answer cannot be D because there is no evidence of the impossibility of achieving a moral life-only the judgment on the part of individuals that the good life is not embodied in the theoretical-which is the position espoused in C. The key is wrong.