Friday, March 12, 2010

Doctors, Ears and Cookies...oh my!

Well, I spent quite a few hours today at doctor's appointments to consult about my ear. I had my last drainage (you might call it) Monday of last week. Since it filled up half way or more like 3/4 to what it had been before, the doctor said we needed to wait another two weeks to let the ear settle down to before trying to drain it one last time. On Wednesday night I noticed that my ear was hardening up. I had been warned that if this happened I needed to see a doctor quickly as this means my ear could permanently be the size of a small melon (slight exaggeration). Well I went in on Thursday and my doctor was out of town. Unfortunately for me, no other doctors were in that day. ...great... so I made an appointment for today. When I went in today the doctor said it had certainly hardened and I would have to see a specialist and possibly a plastic surgeon. Wonderful. They were able to get me an appointment with a specialist at a doctor's office elsewhere in Provo this afternoon. After speaking with him he deduced we could not do anything about my ear at this time. So much has happened to the cartilage, and the ear needs time to heal and there is a possibility that the ear will get a tidge smaller, although it will never be the size it was before. Suck.

Anyway, he said that in 4 months if it doesn't get smaller and I'm unhappy with it to call him and we can get a plastic surgeon to look at it. However he also said it might take up to 9 months to a year to figure out exactly what to do with my ear. So anyway, plastic surgery. Never thought I'd have to do that. If you would like to make donations or send consolations you can make it out to MERF (Melanie's Ear is Retarded Foundation).

Since I was having such a rough day I decided to officially end my suffering and went to buy girl scout cookies! Possibly the best part of my day. That and the fact that after I saw one of the doctors today they felt bad for me and went and got me some peach rings from their office. That was nice of them.

In addition I will be spending my weekend on my lesson AND a talk. Yes, I have to do both. Wish me luck on my life...I will need it.

2 comments:

Tami said...

i will gladly contribute to MERF if it will make you happy!! and seriously - eat all the girl scout cookies you want. sounds like you've been through the ringer.

DrNef said...

All's well that ends well and it is not yet the end. Hope the talk/lesson went well.